some days you eat salads and go to the gym, some days you eat cupcakes and refuse to put on pants. its called balance.
Guest Blogger: Kristina Coyle
I work with Kristina at AXA Advisors and she quickly became one of my close friends. Kristina is someone I often turn to when it comes to a healthy lifestyle. She too along with many others has struggled in the past and shares her story of how and why she started living and eating healthy. Kristina breaks it down for you guys on small changes you can make to live a healthier lifestyle. She has a realistic view and believes that it’s okay to have a cupcake every once in a while. Everything in moderation– balance.
here are 10 small tips that I have found that can have BIG effects on your health, energy, and ability to stay at your target weight effortlessly, without giving up everything you enjoy!
- drink half your body weight in water a day (ie. if you weigh 120lbs, drink 60oz of water) to maintain drink more, get healthier…drink less, start experiencing negative symptoms. if you exercise, or live in a hot climate, add another 8-16oz.
side note: if you have been trying to lose weight, eat healthy and exercise but still don’t see results, it could be lack of water. for every 2 glasses you don’t drink, your body will hold onto .5lbs. compound that over days\weeks\months and your body is holding on to a lot of excess lbs.!
tip: download the ‘daily water free’ app to monitor how much water you’re drinking. You can even set an alarm that reminds you throughout the day to drink water.
- start your morning with a glass of room temp water, a fresh lemon squeezed into it and a probiotic ( i keep this by my bed so it’s the first thing I do when I wake up). The water and lemon will flush your kidneys, you will get your first 8-16oz of water crossed off and the probiotics will help keep your digestive system healthy.
did you know, the majority of your immune system is in your digestive track? keep your stomach happy, keep your body healthy.
I recommend Dr. Ohira’s probiotic. the cheapest i have found is on the website www.mynaturalmarket.com. best part, you can put it on auto-ship and it will show up on your doorstep however often you would like!
3. It is recommended that we eat 9 servings of fruits and veggies a day to maintain Two questions you might ask:
how big is a serving? Roughly 1\2 a cup
and how in the world am I going to eat that many fruits and veggies?
4. Every morning I start with a green smoothie that is packed with living enzymes, vitamins, minerals and nutrients. I hit almost my full servings of fruits and veggies for the entire day and get a huge burst of energy.
Here is a great starter recipe:
- 1 head of romaine lettuce or celery
- 5 stalks of kale
- 1-2 apples (fuji)
- 1 lemon (can keep whole if organic)
- 2 tbsp of ginger
- Glass full of Liquid of choice (water, coconut water, almond milk, coconut milk)
- Power Add ins:
- Flax oil\seeds
- Chia seeds
- Protein powder
- Hemp seeds
- Cilantro or Parsley
Rule of Thumb:
- (1) green (lettuce, spinach, kale, chard
- (1) veggie (cucumber, celery)
- (1) fruit (berry, banana, mango)
- To make it creamy (more like ice cream consistency) add 1 avocado
- To shorten the prep time buy: pre-washed greens, frozen fruit (already chopped and clean), peel bananas and cut into slices and freeze in Ziploc bags.
- Beginning of week wash and cut any other veggies
- 80\20 rule- Try to eat 80% of your diet clean (fresh fruits, veggies, seeds, nuts, grass fed beef, free range chicken) and then you can balance with 20% of your favorites (my personal favorite is reese’s peanut butter cups!)
- It can be tough to eat healthy when we are on the road or busy with our daily lives. Download the ‘healthyout’ app for a list of healthier restaurants\fast food wherever you are.
- Start every meal with a live veggie (celery sticks with your lunch, side salad with dinner, etc). the living enzymes in the veggies aid your digestive track and help break down food a lot faster and move it along in the body….less weight stuck in your body!
- Download sworkit app for 5min-1hr workouts that give you the most results for the amount of time you have.
- getting less than 7 hours of a sleep a night on a regular basis?
- this can stunt weight loss. your body needs that time to detox and repair. For every minute used to stay up and finish a project for work, watch one extra tv show, etc you are inhibiting your body from resting and recuperating. In fact studies show that over one year, less than 7 Google ‘dirty dozen’ and print off the list to carry in your wallet. every year a list is created to bring awareness to the fruits and veggies that have the most pesticide or least pesticides on them. I know organic is more expensive, but if you can just get the ones on the list organic you can get the remaining regular and buy a vegetable cleaning spray for $2-$3 that will help remove some of the residue left from the chemicals.
- diet is the most important part of maintaining health and weight BUT exercise comes in second. I get we all have busy schedules…..you don’t need to go to the gym for a full hour everyday to reap the benefits.
- Instead break your work out into short increments—10 minutes of pushups\planks, stretches when you first wake up, (2) 3-5 min breaks at work (google chair exercises for the office), 15 min walk after dinner with your significant other or pets and another 10 min at night during your favorite show or as your nightly wind down routine.
- hours habitually can equal to another 14 lbs on the scale.
- Other quick tips about sleep. 10 pm is the best time for you to go to sleep for maximum results
- keep your room between 65-72 degrees at night. It helps your body slip into “hibernation mode” for the night.
- Watch the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
- Read the book the Plan by Lyn Genet Recitas and try the 20 days (many of her clients loose at least 10 pounds in this time period)!
What’s my story?
A little bit about me….I’m super passionate about using food and positive thought to balance and maintain a healthy, productive life full of vitality. After 7 years of trying every type of diet, “food lifestyle,” fad, etc., I have learned that balance is the key if you want results that last.
At age 23, I started to experience anxiety, panic attacks, depression, allergies, severe weight loss, digestive issues, brain fog, sinusitis, lethargy, mood swings and the list goes on and on. I was in and out of dr’s offices, the emergency room, specialist, and psychiatrists (in case I was a hypochondriac) all who couldn’t find one darn thing wrong with me or what could be causing these issues. I had to do something, because my dr’s were not getting me the answers I needed.
By the grace of god, a friend gave me a book called “100 days to perfect health” by Mary Ann Shearer. I figured what do I have to lose? I was literally days away from checking myself into a mental hospital because the symptoms were becoming unbearable. Fast forward 100 days and I had felt a dramatic shift in my health and attitude. I knew I was on to something. I started experimenting with the raw food diet, vegan, vegetarianism, paleo, food combining….you name it, I tried it. Each style of eating had its pro’s and con’s. the final straw, that would forever change the way I viewed food, is a book called the plan by lyn genet. The basis is all of our bodies are made differently, therefore we cant expect to all eat the same thing and have the same results. She gives you a 20 day plan to follow in which you will immediately be able to identify your body giving you signs that it does or does not like a certain food. A perfect example is out of the 1000s of clients this author had seen, almonds, salmon, greek yogurt, and tomato sauce are some of the most inflammatory foods that cause the most health conditions and weight gain! 4 of the “healthiest” foods!
Day #6 is to test out wheat. Low and behold, when I got to day #6, ate a piece of wheat bread, ALL of my old symptoms flooded back within minutes (
brain fog, mood swings, bloated stomach, etc). That was enough to put myself on a strict gluten free diet and I haven’t looked back since. Please don’t misunderstand, I am not telling you that gf diets are for everyone! Instead I’m telling you to take the time to figure out what works and doesn’t for your body. The 20 days now can prevent a lifetime of unwanted health conditions and expedited aging. I am not a Dr or offering information that is to be in place of what a dr has prescribed. I am sharing my personal experience and research done over the past 7 years.
Hope you guys enjoyed her post– I sure did. So many helpful tips that I’ve taken from her and I hope you do too. This is something so many people struggle with on a day to day basis. It’s SO important it’s talked about so that we can all figure out ways to make our lives better. I know I decided a few months ago that I was taking a stand in my life and focusing on living a healthy lifestyle. It’s so much easier to do when you have friends who choose to do the same. Healthy is Happy. Live a balanced life.